[thechat] Palestinians

Luther, Ron Ron.Luther at compaq.com
Thu Sep 13 11:44:10 CDT 2001

Hi Seth,

I've been "watching carefully" as well, trying to sort out my own
feelings as I watch others struggling to do the same.

I have felt the anger. The initial and very strong desire to put on hip
boots and walk side by side with some other members of this list through
the blood of those responsible for these actions.

I have felt the violation and outrage that this happened without warning
to civilian personnel in my country and I have felt the sting of the
insult that someone felt it was "cute" to schedule this heinous act for
September 11th to mock our 911 emergency response services.

I feel pain at the worry I see in the eyes of Arab-Americans this week,
their fear at being made quick and easy scapegoats by trailer-trash all
too eager to extract revenge and "get them one a them sand niggers".

I feel fear.  My son will soon turn 16.  The scale of conflict incited
this week can (I feel) easily last until he is of draftable age.
Selfish or not, I have no desire to have my son returned to me in a pine
box. [Like many others here and abroad, I have some familiarity with
that pain.  I'm not anxious to revisit it.]

... that's some of where I'm at this week ...

I have not yet felt the helplessness or despair that these acts may have
been intended to engender.  Nor do I intend to.

Perhaps, as an admittedly small component of our national response as a
people, we can re-fund the old "Voice of America" network, (under better
management), to provide a light in the darkness to combat some of the
ignorance that may have led to this attack.  I still believe that
education is the correct long term path to walk.

... all I feel like sharing at the moment ...

RonL.