[thechat] Airlines

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Thu Sep 13 19:24:50 CDT 2001

>  > wouldn't the cockpit be sealed from the inside? i mean, pilots can
>>  presumably leave the cockpit at some stage (like when the plane
>>  lands)?
>
>terrorists wait outside with a knife to the throat of a stewardess:
>
>"open the door, pilot, or we'll start killing the crew and passengers -- one
>by one."

sure, that's the problem that occurred to me too. what i meant was:
if it's any kind of deterrent at all, then the question of 'how do
the pilots evacuate' isn't an issue. the only alternative here would
be a bank-like time delay on the sealed door -- or a 'if landing gear
down + engines disengaged, then seal broken' type behaviour.

>do you assume that they're going to crash the plane and kill everyone, and
>thus ignore the loss of all passengers in an attempt to save a building full
>of people?
>
>or do you assume that the terrorists might just want to take the plane OS
>where after a stand-off on the runway, most passengers are released
>unharmed?

i don't know jack about anti-terrorism, and don't pretend to. i
certainly wouldn't presume to judge how others behave under the
circumstances you describe.

--
Andrew Forsberg
---