[thechat] hometowns

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Thu Sep 13 19:36:21 CDT 2001

>I was mauled by a "Dead-Bear" once at a 'Dead show.

That sounds pretty scary, actually!

>But seriously, I still remember there being lotsa passion up there. Many,
>many causes. Always reminded me of where I am now (I also grew up here - if
>I did indeed grow up) in the northern tip of NYS. This is where many people,
>mostly unofficially labelled communists and hippies of sorts, came in the
>early seventies to get away from the establishment (including some of my
>family).

The 'back to the landers.'

Yes, people from Arcata organized in busloads to go to Seattle to
demonstrate about WTO, etc, and then they came back and held
informational demonstrations on the plaza. (for example).

The die-hard back-to-the-landers of course are in the Humboldt County
hills... often with no electricity, sometimes no phone... growing
dope (heh) listening to Reggae & bluegrass, running independent radio
stations, etc.

My dad is an HSU professor emeritus.

Lots of indigenous people up there as well. CA's biggest reservation
is the Yurok/Hoopa rez.  My daughter is Yurok.

At one time, I was very gung-ho to live off the grid.

But I've lived in Portland for the past year.  I finally got tired of
being dirt-poor and helpless against 'the system.'  (Now I'm just
moderately poor, & considerably less helpless).