[thechat] hometowns

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Fri Sep 14 10:57:14 CDT 2001

Crapping in a hole is indeed primitive and polluting.

There are many alternative forms of technology collecting & heating
water, composting toilets, etc. which are very viable & not so
unpleasant & just require a certain level of technical know-how.

here's a page I built for HSU:
http://www.humboldt.edu/~enviro/about.shtml
showing some images of Campus Center for Appropriate Technology
(CCAT) where these alternative technologies (and more) are in active
use every day.

The Arcata Marsh is another pioneering project, in which a former
waste dump was turned into a marsh, wildlife sanctuary, and natural
water treatment system.  Basically, the natural marsh plants filter
and clean the city's wastewater.

The marsh is a gorgeous place (especially at sunset) and is always
full of resident and migrating birds.
http://www.humboldt.edu/~ere_dept/marsh/wildlife.html

Believe me, just because I live in this urban place doesn't mean that
in my heart I have bought what "modern society" is selling.  It is
simply a compromise I've chosen to make at this time in my life.

With every choice comes a tradeoff.

Erika