[thechat] hometowns

Bill Haenel bhaenel at twcny.rr.com
Fri Sep 14 12:34:00 CDT 2001

> The Arcata Marsh is another pioneering project, in which a former
> waste dump was turned into a marsh, wildlife sanctuary, and natural
> water treatment system.  Basically, the natural marsh plants filter
> and clean the city's wastewater.

I've been there - it's amazing. Sat and watched the sunset over the marsh
and found myself wondering how in the hell something so beautiful could also
be so practical and effective.

> The marsh is a gorgeous place (especially at sunset) and is always
> full of resident and migrating birds.
> http://www.humboldt.edu/~ere_dept/marsh/wildlife.html

Agreed.

> Believe me, just because I live in this urban place doesn't mean that
> in my heart I have bought what "modern society" is selling.
> It is
> simply a compromise I've chosen to make at this time in my life.

I understand.

BTW, the crapping in a hole thing was supposed to be a joke of sorts. I did
not mean to imply that you were somehow a less civilized person than others.
Hope it didn't come off that way.

BH