[thechat] Concrete actions (was: Justice, was Chomsky, was Michael Moore's message)

judah at wiredotter.com judah at wiredotter.com
Mon Sep 17 19:36:17 CDT 2001

At 05:38 PM 9/17/2001 -0500, Scott wrote:

> > I think many many paths could be explored.  But this would take time,
>
>Name them.
>
> > strategy, a refocusing.  Instead of being a world cop, the US could
> > be a model of global consciousness, of ethical behavior.
>
><knee jerk>Is it ethical to let the Taliban treat their women so?</knee
>jerk>
>
>Please identify action items that we can use to demonstrate this. I want
>nitty-gritty. --I have yet to see any.

Ok.  I've been working on an opinion piece to send to my local paper (who
most likely won't publish it) and to my congressmen (whom I hope at least
read it).  I've done alot of thinking and realized that the fundamental
question we (applies to the U.S. and probably others) should be
asking:  What can we do to stop terrorism?

There are those who want revenge, justice, etc., in response to the recent
attack, but that is really a short-term issue.  The long term issue is how
the U.S. should deal with the rising tide of terrorism.  It is generally
agreed that we need to do *something* in response to the recent attack, but
it is vitally important to figure out what the best response is before its
too late.  So here is my answer:

1) The U.S. has not been good at guerilla warfare in the last hundred odd
years.  The U.S. (both military and civilian) has an unusual preoccupation
with the deaths of innocent civilians.  IMHO, that is a good thing and it's
something I'd like to see continue. There have certainly been incidences to
the contrary (such as Mai Lai), but the notoriety of those incidents speaks
to my point.   I don't *want* the U.S. to get good at guerilla warfare.  I
think it would damage us politically and psychologically.  For these
reasons, we should avoid guerilla warfare at all costs.

2) To deal with the current attack, I believe that we should apply a
concerted intelligence effort to locate the people behind the
attacks.  Then we should utilize the special forces of the U.S. and our
allies (such as Isreal's Mossad) to capture, if possible, and kill, if
necessary, the people responsible.  I would prefer them brought in front of
the International Court of Justice, but that is not possible in all
circumstances.  We must involve the international community and make it
very apparent that we will not ignore the attacks, but neither will we
unilaterally take on the world.

3) After we deal with immediate terrorism threats, we need to start
focusing on preventing future incidents.  Long-term security is best gained
by reducing the number of your enemies, not by securing your
borders.  There are reasons that many parts of the world dislike the United
States.  It behooves our nation to understand and acknowledge those
reasons.  Thus far that has not happened.  The populace (and seeming the
leadership) of the U.S. sees the recent terrorist attacks as a product of
insane individuals, not the product of historical and social forces that
the U.S. plays a significant role in.  This must change.

4)  The United States must stop sponsoring and training terrorists.  We
keep supporting and training folks like Osama Bin Landen, Saddam Hussein,
and Manuel Noriega.  We hope to use these terrorists to our own
ends.  Then, surprisingly enough, they turn out to be terrorists on a much
broader scale which impacts our interests in a negative manner.  People
hate us because we try to destabilize their countries.  We got angry for
China contributing money to politicians deemed friendly to China.  Imagine
how many of these countries feel when we give money and guns to the people
who overthrow their governments?  Can anyone name a country that has
embraced democracy and become friendly to the United States as a result of
our covert meddling?

5)  The U.S. needs to improve on the ground human intelligence.  We have a
horrid record of understanding and predicting the actions of hostile
terrorist organizations (both here and abroad).  We must recognize that our
most imminent threats (hello missile shield) are not hi-tech, but rather
low tech.  There are pro-democracy elements in each of the countries that
we identify as being a terrorism sponsoring nation (such as the Kurds in
Iraq).  We must not only support their pro-democracy activities, but we
must convince them to be pro-America as well.  Stopping the sponsorship of
terrorism would be a good start to that goal.

6)  There is a lot to like about the U.S.  We need to work with Voice of
America-type systems to showcase the good things about our country.  There
are too many places (Palestine, Iraq, Afganastan, etc.) that only know a
single, evil dimension to the U.S.  We need to make sure that we present to
positives to our country while simultaneously not bolstering the points
about the negative actions of our country.

If we can recognize the economic and cultural imperialism that American
presents to much of the rest of the world, we will go a long way toward
reducing the causes of terrorism.  I sincerely believe that terrorists form
only a very small percentage of any nation on this planet.  If we can work
to gain the trust and respect of the rest of the inhabitants of those
countries, we will have a very strong intelligence to use to stop the
proliferation of terrorism at its source, rather than trying to thwart it
at our borders.  Only then will we have an effective means of combating the
spector of terrorism.

Enough ranting for now,

Judah :-)