[thechat] Justice, was Chomsky

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue Sep 18 12:27:36 CDT 2001

irinakruk:

In regards to the first paragraphs, I am not going to get drawn into
a history discussion about the post WWI rise of Hitler and Stalin, or
the nuances of Chinese history.

I will emphatically agree that no one should ever ignore the
suffering of their neighbors.  It's in the MANNER of response where
you and I strongly differ.

I support pacifism, not passivity.
Jesus Christ and Mahatma Gandhi strongly advocated pacifism.

How passive were they?

>Yes, US is not an angel, but US is not in the business
>of sainthood. US strives to be powerful, not nice.
>Yes, US teams up with those that will serve its
>interests, but you know what? the other side is not
>better.

Your argument appears to be: "Two wrongs make a right."

>When the other side wins, they shed blood in
>streams just as well. In Afghanistan today the muslim
>rule, but if Russia would have won, those same muslim
>would have been put so fast to a wall you would have
>gotten dizzy. And there would have been lists with
>names like there were in Hungary, Checkoslovakia,
>Ukraine, Romania etc,etc,. And if there were neither
>US or Russia they would have been murdering each other
>like they do in Africa, like they have done in
>Yugoslavia, etc.

your argument appears to be:
"Everyone over there (or just everyone) is a bunch of killers,
so it doesn't matter what we do to them."

>As for bin Laden he is not fighting for the good of
>his people, he is not fighting for justice - he is
>fighting for power. And his cultural revolution will
>be as good as the Chineez was. May be even better, if
>that is possible. Its all about power, boys and girls.

power, wealth, resources etc.

>And as for the heroism of those justice fighters who
>are willing to die for their cause - get  a grip. This
>attack was planned for a long time. These people were
>trained. Humans can be trained to do anything. Try
>hypnosis.

Or just observe your friends, neighbors, and major media outlets.

>Frankly, blaming US, and criticizing its wish for
>revenge is like blaming a woman for getting raped, and
>oh, you know, she was waring those skirts, and was
>shaking those thighs; she was asking for it , wasn't
>she???

Do we let the rape victim murder the alleged attacker (even though
the victim didn't see the attacker or know exactly who it is) and
hurt a bunch of other people in the process?

>and now, she wants revenge, instead of sticking
>out the other cheek. Gee, somebody, give me some
>water...
>Gotta go.
>
>irinakruk
>i smile only when its dark.

"...turn the other cheek."

I didn't say that, that was Jesus Christ.

Erika