[thechat] Justice, was Chomsky, was Michael Moore's message

spinhead evolt at spinhead.com
Tue Sep 18 14:51:16 CDT 2001

I don't have time to write the twelve page monologue in my head, but,
really - is anyone under the impression that terrorism can be stopped?
Whether you accept the historicity of the account or not (I do) you may have
heard of two guys named Cain and Abel, brothers? One was jealous of the
other, and his solution was murder. Maybe not terrorism, but terrorism's
just a form of murder - just like war.

Try thinking about it from this perspective - we CAN'T stop terrorism unless
we kill every person on earth who even has the potential for murder. So, if
we can't stop it, what can we do INSTEAD?

I am apolitical, so my contribution hasn't changed any national attitudes or
anything like that, but I have the utmost respect for life, and I've raised
my four kids to have the same. That's four less potential terrorists
(assuming I've done my job well.) Well, five, maybe - my wife was a SF gang
member and a pretty violent type before we met. She had started to change
her life style before we married, and has since made the paradigm shift to
being a peacemaker instead of a troublemaker. (In twenty-two years, she
hasn't done me in yet ;)

I absolutely completely concur that criminals need punishment; it's a
fundament of civilized society. I just can't conceive of a war accomplishing
that without infinitely bad side effects.

[overtones of extreme ignorance] Why can't the world's most powerful,
militarily and scientifically advanced nations (Japan and China were heavily
affected by the WTC incident) manage to find the perpetrators and extract
them for trial and punishment? Is a ground war against Afghanistan REALLY
the only way NATO and the US can get physical access to these folks? It just
doesn't seem reasonable [note ignorance disclaimer] If anyone's got any
military insights into why a covert operation to bring the perps to the US
(or wherever) for justice isn't possible, I would find it very educational.

Thanks.

spinhead