[thechat] "I guess we'll buy them"

nate koechley nate at vicksburgcollective.com
Tue Sep 18 16:32:11 CDT 2001

Well, it comes off as a Novel Idea, but actually it's been (almost) exactly
our Standard Operating Procedure for the last 50 years.

The West believes that western-style open-market societies are more stable,
more predictable, more influenceable (and this mainly appears to be true).
When you say "Buy Them", you are, in essence, suggesting that these
problems would not exist if they were a free-market society. After all,
it's not the Statehood that would be stabilizing, but rather the existence
of Freedoms and Capitalism. Consumers are inevitable docile citizens. Just
look at the political apathy in America. (well, look back 8 days at least)

It's not a bad idea, to be sure. (Many would say that it's that exact idea
which defeated Communism.) We've been trying to do this to the world for
decades. We've succeed in almost all cases. (Take a look at the worlds
countries... many of them are, in essence, States. The West -- aka: the
democratic, capitalist powers -- leads, supports, funds, and dictates to
all these countries.)

But, don't forget that it's almost exactly these idea and pressures to
which these forces are rebelling.

Cheers,
.nek

(ps: i'm not trying to put words into your mouth. just trying to progress
the discussion)