[thechat] virus protection

Seth Bienek seth at sethbienek.com
Thu Sep 20 10:15:41 CDT 2001

> but someone
> at the office is concerned at the possibility of getting done by something
> like this readme.eml crap before it's publicised and patches provided.

Ironically, had the proper patches and software updates been in place BEFORE Nimda came along, it would have had been completely ineffective from the start.  Every single exploit it uses to infect has been documented and repaired, via patches and/or software updates.

We found in our office which servers (and browsers) had not been properly updated right away.  Luckily, we only "lost" one mail server.  For some, it will have been a very painful lesson - be aware of security issues and fix them ASAP - also have a checklist for new intstalls of affected software to make sure patches get applied..

Regards,

Seth
(who nearly stroked out when his updated virus program discovered Nimda on his machine, only to find they were the readme files that had been downloaded and not executed, but cached, in the 'temporary internet files' folder.  whew!)