[thechat] What can WE do?

spinhead evolt at spinhead.com
Thu Sep 20 13:33:13 CDT 2001

Music has been used as a tool by any number of groups to whip up
religious/patriotic fervor to gain support for their ideals/goals. The
Marseillais is given a certain amount of credit for the French Revolution's
'success.' [Great cautionary tale: there were these disgruntled citizens,
and they rose up in a group and threw off the shackles of their oppressors.
And became oppressors.]

Apologies for the lack of documentation and historical exactness. Later,
when I've got more time.

I've also read [insert more apologies] more than one commentary re: Woody
Guthrie's affect on US history - not as a politician, but as a writer of
acerbic protest songs. (If you ever get a chance to hear Arlo cover 'This
Land Is Your Land,' where he sings the verses you don't learn in school,
you'll hear a very different perspective on who owns what, and whose 'land'
is whose.)

spinhead