[thechat] name of Operation Infinite Justice to be changed

Bill Haenel bhaenel at twcny.rr.com
Fri Sep 21 12:12:19 CDT 2001

> What makes you say that? When I was 18, US citizens didn't even have to
> register for the draft, but that was re-instituted quite a while ago. What
> is different now from 50 years ago that makes you think the
> entire war will
> be fought by volunteers? Or isn't that your point? [looking for
> hope, not an
> argument]
>
> spinhead

What's changed in 50 years is that about 30 years ago, we went to Vietnam.
At that time, large numbers of Americans stood up and said WAR SUCKS, WE
DON'T WANT WAR. Have Americans changed their minds since then? Or will we
hold true to those ideals that so many spoke out for during our presence in
Vietnam.

We haven't had a draft in over 25 years (or so, right?), because we haven't
wanted a conflict that required more than our existing military - it's been
understood that Americans don't want that kind of war. So why should we have
a draft now? We would do so because we are having the kind of war that
nobody wants to have, right?

I'm 31. I was taught by the generations that lived through Vietnam that we
don't want to do that ever again. This I've heard from those that supported
it, from those that protested it, and from those that fought in it. All I
know is what I've been told by those who were there, because I wasn't there.

There's a big chunk of the American population (myself included) that hasn't
ever seen a war like that. We've seen wars that require a small percentage
of our volunteers only. We've had friends that were those volunteers, and
who came home safely. For all I and the rest of my generation know, you guys
all decided a long time ago that the kind of war that requires a draft isn't
acceptable. So has that changed? Are Americans now okay with it?

So I repeat my question: Will Americans (especially all of those many who
protested so many years ago) tolerate that kind of war again? From what
you've all told us, the answer is NO. You're the ones who have given us hope
by setting a standard that is the only thing we've ever known.

BH