[thechat] name of Operation Infinite Justice to be changed

Bill bhaenel at twcny.rr.com
Fri Sep 21 19:10:47 CDT 2001

> He doesn't have to carry a gun... He can be a medic like many
> conscientious
> objectors were in Nam...
>
> Thanks,
> Ron White

I have a buddy who will go very soon he tells me. He's not in the Army, the
Air Force, the Marines, or the Navy. He's in the Air National Guard. He's an
Aero Med Tech. Basically, his job is to fly to where the wounded are and fix
them as necessary. They are apparently some of the best trained medical
military people we have at our "disposal".

In "America's New War" (as CNN is calling it now - kind of sounds like
"Emperor's New Clothes" to me) he'll be going to Afghanistan or wherever
(nobody knows yet, since they have heard of absolutely no objectives as of
about an hour ago) to set up a few hospital tents within enemy lines. He
says they've had extensive combat training in addition to their medical
background, but no training for this enemy or this terrain. This guy is the
most bull-headed, confident, pile-drivin' asshole I've ever known, and is
like a brother to me for the past 20 years.

He served in the Navy during the Gulf War boarding suspicious ships and such
looking for stuff that shouldn't get through to Iraq, and letting stuff go
that "should" (nothing serious, just weapons and chemicals). He has worked
as a cop, a bodyguard, and a bounty hunter (and a sociology professor for
that matter), and has seen plenty of scary gunplay and crap like that.

I spoke with him about an hour ago, and this is the first time in 20 years
I've ever heard him scared. It's because they are so unprepared for the
territory and the enemy they'll be taking on. He says they're really set for
the Cold War, though.

Lack of appropriate training, positioned within enemy lines, responsible for
fixing soldiers up so they can fight some more or go home and make more
American babies...

...you bet your sweet American ass he'll be carryin', whether he has to or
not. So would I if I were there, and so will my three sons if they ever have
to go (my oldest is ten years from eligibility, but I wouldn't assume for a
minute that whatever's coming couldn't last that long).

I can't say I'd recommend anyone go anywhere near a war without being armed,
would you?

BH