[thechat] name of Operation Infinite Justice to be changed

Bill bhaenel at twcny.rr.com
Fri Sep 21 19:28:47 CDT 2001

> Vietnam was justified as a "fight for freedom."  It was all
> rationalized.  Didn't we learn in school that America was about
> freedom, that freedom is a great thing, and anyone who is against
> freedom is bad and evil?

Only thing is, now we really are talking about losing freedom. On the 12th
of this month, I listened to many people discuss the fact that everything
would change in America. There was talk of giving up freedoms and civil
liberties on the eve of the 11th. Oy - we are so often our own worst enemy,
aren't we? If Jerry Falwell had it his way, we'd all be monitored by
closed-circuit TV and anyone caught doing the nasty outside of the church's
scheduled "do-the=nasty" time would be sent directly to bin Laden himself
for punishment. What kind of freedom is that? Thank God he's not in a
government job - but then there's always tomorrow.

> Yes, I agree that there will be great resistance to a draft, or any
> use of ground troops for that matter.  That doesn't mean it won't
> happen.  But because there will be resistance it will be less likely
> to happen... or less likely to happen right away...

I'm counting on it. I'm counting on the American public to be intelligent
and I'm counting on the rest of the world to keep us in check. I DO have
faith in us. Not just to resist a draft, but to resist any action that would
be just plain stupid...like sending ground troops to fight a battle they are
unprepared for.

Bush is saying all of the right things to get us psyched for a war. He's
trying to make sure that we do not lose any momentum for vengeance, because
if we do, the leash will be on his military, and we'll have another Vietnam
on our hands. That's why so much talk about "resolution". Mine's 1280x1024.

Anyway, the best thing I (and everyone else who cares) can do for ourselves
is to do my own "psych-ing" by not letting people discourage themselves into
believing that the worst will happen. I'm going to make a point to tell
everyone how much faith I have in us to do the right thing, and how much
faith I have in Colin Powell to do the right thing, and how much faith I
have in Humanity to not just let this get out of hand. I'm going to promote
positive thinking.

What are you going to do?

BH