[thechat] West v. East (was: civilized vs. uncivilized)

Bob Davis bobd at members.evolt.org
Wed Sep 26 19:52:42 CDT 2001

At 4:55 PM -0700 9/26/01, you wrote:

>>Defending one's home is a very noble and honorable choice to make. Or do you
>>think Geromino, Crazy Horse and Sitting Bull et al were just war mongers? I
>>think they were great heroes!
>
>I guess that depends on how you define "defending one's home."
>Switzerland as I recall is a very militarized country.   How many
>countries have they invaded?  How many bombs have they dropped?

Switzerland is not a very good example....They're a neutral country.
Have been since around the time of the hundred years war, IIRC.  It's
not a choice they make, it's a legal status in their constitution.
They *can't* get involved. They do, however, bear the burden of
protecting their borders vigilantly - it's part of being  a sovereign
nation and a very important tenet of neutrality.

By the way - prior to becoming neutral, Switzerland was one of the
largest exporters of mercenaries and weapons. The Cantons were full
of fighting men willing to follow the money. There are only a few
Swiss mercenaries around any more - at the Vatican.

bob

--
bob davis
bobd at members.evolt.org