[thechat] Grrr useless @ counterstrike

Norman Beresford n.beresford at anansi.co.uk
Sat Sep 29 05:06:54 CDT 2001

Hi Andrew

Counterstrike! Yay!

It's quite difficult to give tips for counter-strike, there's nothing to
beat experience.  The thing about counter-strike is that it's a bit slower
and more thoughtful then most of games of the genre.  So think about your
position when you're encountering ppl.  Most of the time your team will be
heading one way and the other team will be heading the opposite way.
Consider how that person might have got there, if you're in the van then
anyone ahead of you is going to be opposition.  If you're not 100% certain
then take a split second to pause and visually confirm who it is you're just
about to headshot.  Also check your radar, if you're constantly aware of
where your team is you're less likely to TK then.  A TK is the worst thing
that can happen to you and your team.  It means your team is a man down for
that round and the next round, and it means that you lose two of your kills.

Other tips.....

Successful counter-strike play is as much about using your ears as your
eyes.  Use headphones and make sure they're properly set up.  You can hear
ppl coming through walls/round corners etc. So many ambushes are given away
because someone swaps weapons and the opposition hears the bolts been pulled
on the new weapon.

Know when to run and when to sneak.  If you think the enemy is about then
sneak, you'll be able to hear him coming and he won't be expecting you.

All guns are more accurate if you burst fire them rather then just wildly
spraying.  So get into the habit of just taping the fire button.  This is
more true for the AK then any other weapon. Also a shot fired from a crouch
is going to be more accurate then one standing.

Aim for the torso, it's a bigger hitbox so you've more chance of hitting
them.  Also if they go for the sudden drop you'll headshot them.

Be aware of the effects of recoil on the different weapons.  The AK has a
tendancy to rise, so if you aim at someone's foot and let rip with the AK
you're going to hit them in the torse and head as well.

Different weapons get you moving at different rates, so if you're moving a
long distance have your knife out.  Shorter distances where you might
encounter the enemy keep your pistol out.  Only have your primary weapon out
when you're likely to encounter the oppo.

In a firefight don't bother reloading, simply swap from your primary weapon
to your pistol.  If you manage to blaze through your primary and your pistol
then swap back to your primary and reload that, although tbh you're probably
going to be dead by that point.

Try and have it running at the best resolution/frame rate that you can get.
I get 30 fps at 1024xwhatever, although most modern gfx cards should get you
99fps.

Make sure that you're mouse sensitivity is high enough to enable you to
track fast moving opponents.

Learn the maps.  Not just the layout but also how ppl play them.  Figure out
where ppl are likely to be hiding, it's unlikely that you'll run out of ammo
so if you're about to go past a box and you know ppl occasional hide there
but a burst into it's shadows.

Try and work as a team, use radio commands etc to keep everyone aware of
what is going on.  It's hard to do this on a public server, but when it
happens it's excellent and really makes the whole thing worthwhile.

Lastly just play it a lot.  Find some servers where you get a good ping and
play on them, you'll soon make friends of the regulars there which adds a
whole new dimension to the game.  This is a good way to find a decent clan
to play with as well.

I've not played a lot since the recent BY/WP takeover, but my nick is
Fat_Loser and I'll be wearing either [AoA] or [NEKKID] clan tags, so say
hello if you spot me on a server.

HTH

Norman