[thechat] Essay help, anyone?

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Sat Sep 29 16:49:00 CDT 2001

>Any help would be appreciated. Even if its just "damn, matt, that essay
>sucks".

Hi

I think Morbus covered most of the phrasing issues. Definitely
'deeper understanding' is preferable to 'deep understanding.' The
latter sounds a bit like hippy-talk to me.

I'd also be careful about the paragraph that starts 'I did put my
full effort...' -- mainly because it could be interpreted as whining,
or dumping on your teacher. Although that's almost certainly not what
you mean, I can just see certain members of an examination board
getting their noses slightly out of joint over it.

Perhaps phrase it more along the lines of: while I met all the
necessary curriculum requirements by finishing homework, etc etc etc;
the time I spent trying to understand the concepts behind the
exercises was far more valuable to me. By learning how to understand
and solve problems generally, rather than learning formulas by rote,
I feel more confident in my approach to new, unknown problems.

You never know, that math teacher could easily be on the board... :-)

Best of luck,
Andrew

--
Andrew Forsberg