[thechat] Grrr useless @ counterstrike

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Sun Sep 30 05:37:12 CDT 2001

>Counterstrike! Yay!

Counterstrike! Grrr!

>A TK is the worst thing
>that can happen to you and your team.  It means your team is a man down for
>that round and the next round, and it means that you lose two of your kills.

Yea. That was why I was tending to be a bit slow with the trigger. I
think I'm starting to get the hang of looking in three places on the
screen at once. Also, learning the types of clothing CT and T wear is
helping with friendly / nasty id-ing.

>All guns are more accurate if you burst fire them rather then just wildly
>spraying.  So get into the habit of just taping the fire button.  This is
>more true for the AK then any other weapon. Also a shot fired from a crouch
>is going to be more accurate then one standing.

Any tips for a useful beginner weapon combo? When the game starts it
seems I'm the only freak wandering around with a pistol ... but
there's nothing else for less than $800??? I'm slightly overwhelmed
by the number of different weapons 'on the market' -- the rifles look
neat, but bugger awkward.

>Different weapons get you moving at different rates, so if you're moving a
>long distance have your knife out.  Shorter distances where you might
>encounter the enemy keep your pistol out.  Only have your primary weapon out
>when you're likely to encounter the oppo.

Muaaa hahaha. Yes that helped! Thanks!

>then swap back to your primary and reload that, although tbh you're probably
>going to be dead by that point.

Mmm. Yes, there's little use in RUNNING away, either. :-)

>Try and have it running at the best resolution/frame rate that you can get.
>I get 30 fps at 1024xwhatever, although most modern gfx cards should get you
>99fps.

Crappy trident XPm - 16mb: rubbish Yamaha drivers, poor frame rates,
non-existent OpenGL drivers, absolutely shocking Direct 3d drivers
(let's leave it at: 1 frame every 3 seconds, sprites disappearing,
walls transparent)... Grrr. Still, I think the gameplay problems are
squarely in my court, not the machines.

>Learn the maps.  Not just the layout but also how ppl play them.

Some of them are *really* freaky! Like that weirdo oil rig thing.
Everyone else seems to be busy doing something, and the only useful
thing I seem to be able to do is sit on a tall object and take pot
shots. Like you say, practise...

>Lastly just play it a lot.  Find some servers where you get a good ping and
>play on them, you'll soon make friends of the regulars there which adds a
>whole new dimension to the game.  This is a good way to find a decent clan
>to play with as well.

Luckily the major NZ ADSL provider (well, the only one for the moment
-- that's another story) provides a gaming context -- a partial
debian mirror + games / mods archive + halflife / quake / U.T. /
something else servers. And there's no traffic charge, so that's all
got to be good. Pinging at between 60 and 90 ms. Classy.

Unfortunately this comes with a high proportion of aggressive,
homophobic, barely pubescent, flavour of player with attitudinal
problems and attention deficit disorders -- all of which can make
chatting a bit depressing. Perhaps the grown ups come out during the
week when they should be working.

>I've not played a lot since the recent BY/WP takeover, but my nick is
>Fat_Loser and I'll be wearing either [AoA] or [NEKKID] clan tags, so say
>hello if you spot me on a server.

BY/WP? Sorry, what's that? When I've worked out how to not kill team
mates so frequently I might keep a nick for a while -- it puts a bit
of a dampener on chatting when  you've recently blown them to bits
from behind. :-(

Thanks for the tips,
Andrew
--