[thechat] Server software

Kevin Stevens kjs at ratking.co.uk
Tue Oct 2 14:18:33 CDT 2001

Hi Gang
            A few weeks ago I posted a question about building my own
computer, which I have now successfully done, and a damn fine beast it is
too :) A 1.5 Ghz Pentium 4 with 256 Meg of RAM and a CD-RW for under £700. I
could have bought one with a similar spec for the same price, but it's a bit
like buying Hi-Fi separates, you can choose exactly what you want so you
have total control.
            Anyway, what I now want to do is this: keep my old computer and
use it as a server on a network. All I want to run on it is the O/S (either
Win ME or NT4), Zone Alarm and an anti virus program. This will also be
constantly connected to the Internet with a 56k modem so that both me and my
wife can surf at the same time on our machines if need be. What I need is
some software that will allow us to do that. But, because we only have 2
monitors between 3 machines, I want to see any alerts from Zone Alarm or the
anti virus program on one of the puters with a monitor. Is this possible,
and can anyone recommend such a program?

Kevin Stevens
kjs at ratking.co.uk