[thechat] Jedi Knight now an official religion in the UK...

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Mon Oct 8 16:45:24 CDT 2001

http://www.shavenwookie.com/rimrun/oct98.html

Just found this on google; it's a comparison between Jedi training
and Wiccan belief.  I've never claimed to be "Wiccan."  But I do live
another kind of "neo-pagan"  spirituality, and I see more similarity
than difference amongst nature "religions."

Also, I see more similarity than difference amongst monotheistic
religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam).

For example, one notable characteristic of monotheistic religions is
patriarchy.  Another notable characteristic of monotheistic religions
is a reverence for the "written" word.

As for pagan or nature-based religions, they tend to have more of a
balance of power between the masculine and feminine, and the written
word assumes a lesser significance.  Image, sound, and natural
experience have far greater weight.

Of course, there isn't always a strong line.  Indigenous peoples have
a history of mixing traditional nature-based religions with
Christianity.  So we get stuff like Santeria, the Native American
Church, hybrid Catholicism in the US Southwest,(& perhaps Ireland?),
etc.

Personally, I think the Jedi thing was a hybrid as well.  It was
mysticism mixed with western rationalism.  Star Wars was a hero's
journey chock-full of boys and toys.

Anyway, nature-based religions survived amongst people for whom the
oral tradition was strong, and (written) literacy not so strong.

In those communities, knowledge comes from heart & spirit as well as
from the head.  Intuitive knowledge is valued along with rational
knowledge.

"The Force" is difficult to understand intellectually.  You have to feel it.

Erika