[thechat] Google now sports pop-up adds

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Wed Oct 10 10:42:54 CDT 2001

At 08:49 PM 10/10/2001, you wrote:
>bruce -
>
>not getting that here.. using moz.9.4 on win and linux and not seeing
>any pop ups.. do you have any wacky activex shit if you're using IE?
>
>.djc.

My guess is that Bruce probably had multiple windows open and one of the
other sites he had opened did a delayed pop-up on him. So it appeared like
Google sprang it instead. :(

Hey, hang on. I've not seen a delayed pop-up on a site yet (you know, where
the pop-up appears 5-10 seconds after the page has loaded). Folks, please
promise me that you won't give this idea to anyone else lest the morons
decide to unleash this on us. As it is, the pop-up that was once considered
only something that porn sites (and clueless sites) had, returned with full
force with more and more "respectable" sites sporting them. (sigh)

Interestingly, I was visiting http://www.pcfonts.com/ and in a listing of
sites with free fonts, I saw a field called "pop-up free" :)

Now if only Google would add that to their site listings :D

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant
e-mail: webguru at vsnl.net