[thechat] (no subject)

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Thu Oct 11 10:31:01 CDT 2001

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

Yeah, that stinks, Norman. At least it's better written than most spam.

There's also a disturbing trend in corporate results - whereas up
until last month, many large companies issued profit warnings blaming
the economic downturn, consumer softening of demand - usual excuses.

(why is it that bad results are caused by economic conditions but good
ones are caused by strong management?)

However, now those same companies are almost universally blaming
the events of September 11th:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1592000/1592295.stm

example:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1593000/1593759.stm
-v-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/business/newsid_1528000/1528905.stm

Same 17% drop as in August, but now it's all Bin Laden's fault., instead
of the previous line of "management admitting that it began to fall out of step with changing consumer tastes more than a year ago. "

The corporate explanation in August:
Company president Millard Drexler, admitting "difficult and disappointing" trading conditions, blamed a new cost-consciousness among shoppers for the
slide.
"Consumers are cautious," he said. "They are selectively buying new fashion but primarily shopping for value,"

Nothing to do with wanting to avoid frivolity in the shadow of atrocity - that trend was already there.

Cheers
Martin

Please respond to thechat at lists.evolt.org

Sent by:  thechat-admin at lists.evolt.org