[thechat] LA Times and dying urls

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Tue Oct 16 16:11:33 CDT 2001

At 01:40 AM 10/17/2001, you wrote:
>I also hate that many of the yahoo newsfeeds eventually linkrot as well
>- I always try to look for a permanent url for stuff when I blog,
>because darnit, urls should live forever!

There are good reasons for this sometimes. If you're licensing content from
others, there may a restriction on its use.
When I worked with CNET India, for example, we would license certain
content from newspapers under the terms that we would not "archive" it.
This meant that we had to get rid of the stories after a certain period of
time (anywhere from 1 day to 1 week).

Other sites that license newsfeeds from places like Reuters also probably
have the same restrictions.

And yes, ideally URLs should live forever. I know Nielsen has said it, and
I think Tim Berners-Lee said it somewhere too.

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon
User Experience Consultant