[thechat] LA Times and dying urls

martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com martin.p.burns at uk.pwcglobal.com
Wed Oct 17 05:11:58 CDT 2001

Memo from Martin P Burns of PricewaterhouseCoopers

-------------------- Start of message text --------------------

I don't like that the original URL is no longer valid at all, however,
I can sympathise with the Times' decision to make most archive
articles paid for - overall, they do need to generate revenue to be
able to do the journalism in the first place. If paying for the old stuff
means you get the new stuff free (as in beer), that's a pretty good
compromise.

I can imagine a debate which went on in the Times, where some
argued that the old URLs should remain, but that the practicality of
making the content non-free (as in beer) didn't allow that - note
that it's on a different server.

For free (as in beer) content like Yahoo newsgroups and W3C,
there isn't the excuse.

Cheers
Martin

Please respond to thechat at lists.evolt.org