[thechat] business cards?

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Mon Oct 22 19:42:11 CDT 2001

Hi Bob!

If the printer won't lay them up for you, then you'll need to get an
x-lay from them and do it yourself. These will specify the number of
cards per sheet, how they should be positioned, how much trim to
allow, etc etc. There's no use at all in just making this stuff up,
*especially* not if you're going to print double-sided cards.

Most printers, at least, almost all the ones I've dealt with, will do
this for you. You should be able to send them an Illustrator or
Freehand native format file (check version numbers first, and export
back versions if you have to). It's a good idea to save a copy,
select all the text, then convert the text to paths (called 'create
outlines' in Illustrator), so you won't have any font troubles. Do
save a copy so you can go back and alter the text later then
reconvert text to paths.

A few questions jump to mind: is the card black and white, or colour?
If colour: will you be going four colour? black + special? multiple
spot colours? Have you imported any images / logos?

HTH & feel free to ask on,

Andrew

--
Andrew Forsberg