[thechat] business cards?

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Tue Oct 23 20:13:46 CDT 2001

>  > And if your layout program reflows text, or resamples your linked
>>  images, then you should seriously look at changing packages.
>>
>>  :)
>
>Oooh... You're *so* taking me on on home ground now >:-)

heh! bring it on! :)

>Send a collected Quark file to another machine and it's
>got about a 40-50% chance of reflowing.

So, the person receiving the file is not using the fonts provided,
and/or, they're over-riding the document's H&J settings? That sort of
thing doesn't 'just happen.' Someone, somewhere along the line,
doesn't know what they're doing.

>  Give that Quark
>installation a good PDF Distiller, set it to embed the
>fonts and generate it with a PPD file sent you from your
>printer, and you're home and dry.

Sure. But it's as easy for someone to screw up the pdf generation
process as it is for them to not correctly collect for output, or
generate an eps.

>I'll say it again: *nothing* comes close on reliability.

My partner's toyota just goes and goes and goes...

>Sure, try whetever you like if you print some letterheads
>once a year, but if you were up against a scheduled slot
>at a newspaper press every night (or even every fortnight),
>we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

I have worked in an ad agency where we had our fair share of mental
clients who'd phone at quarter to five on a Friday to try and squeak
in an ad for the next day's national newspaper. I do appreciate your
point. And certainly wouldn't dream of using Quark for such a task --
but a collect from freehand of an eps, with fonts converted to paths,
is certainly up for it.

Anyhow, my main point was that, for Bob, getting a press-ready pdf is
not the drag-and-drop process it's cracked up to be.

--
Andrew Forsberg
---