[thechat] O Brother, drugs, movies, and hats

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Wed Oct 24 12:47:17 CDT 2001

>but also because web searches revealed a more disadvantages than
>advantages to these drugs, including withdrawal issues, rebound
>depression, and sometimes psychotic reations...

clarification:

I think if a person is depressed to the point of being suicidal or
complete lack of functioning, an antidepressant is probably a very
good idea.

But many doctors seem to think antidepressants should be prescribed
to anyone who is depressed or down or even just angry for any reason.

I know so many single mothers on antidepressants... the doctors want
to help but they can't change the situation.  So it's like:  "You're
under stress - angry, upset, no money, crappy job.  Take these pills,
then.  You'll feel better."

It seems too much like Orwell's "victory gin."