Desert Island Stuff [was: Re: [thechat] O Brother, drugs, movies, and hats]

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Tue Oct 30 01:22:35 CST 2001

>  > What was it about Fargo that didn't do it for you?
>
>The blood gushing out of the top of the deputies
>head was pretty, well, I saw something like that in
>person once and couldn't see the entertainment value
>in it.

I didn't say it was a picnic in springtime :) -- seriously, though,
it had me worried, angry, sickened, and concerned about who I should
be rooting for. And it was scenes like the one with the deputy which,
while not strictly-speaking 'entertaining', definitely set a deeply
unpleasant atmosphere around the kidnappers. It was disturbing in a
way Schwarzenager (sp?) movies, for example, couldn't possibly be.

>Also, there were too many just plain bad
>people in it.

Yup. Though: Margie was kinda cool, and the rest of the police were
ok. I liked the police questioning of the prostitutes: 'Could you
describe either of them.' -- 'Well, one was kinda short.' -- 'And the
other was like the marlboro man.' -- 'You mean: he was tall, dark,
and wore some sort of hat.' -- 'Naaaaww. He chain-smoked
marrrrrrrrrrrrrlboorrrrros.'

>OTH, I did enjoy the woodchipper scene.
>So I'm kinda fickle.

I think it was the being torn between disgust and amusement that got
me with Fargo. 'So wuz that ya freeend in the wudchippaaa?' :S

>Forest Whitaker as a samurai hitman for a mafia
>family.
>Yeah, that sounds like it's got some potential.

It's slick, funny, and has enough weirdness to keep it moving. IMO at least.

>Since my drug detox has gotten me a paid medical
>leave of absence till Nov 12 I'm hoping to go catch
>K-PAX tomorrow or the next day. Just thought I'd
>throw that in.

Best of luck!

Andrew
--