cocktails (was Re: [thechat] Laphroig?)

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Mon Nov 5 14:39:58 CST 2001

BTW speaking as a former bartender (aka 'pusher'), my perception is
that the whole point of cocktails like "Sex on the Beach" (an overly
complicated juice drink) and "Screaming Orgasm"  (a mudslide-like
shooter) is that the names are supposed to get repeated loudly by the
bartender, and/or your friends.  It's part of the experience.

In some bars, ordering ANY cocktail opens you up to some type of
ridicule and/or eye-rolling.  While in other bars, ordering a
non-alcoholic beverage will make you subject to ridicule.

I went into a bar Saturday night to meet a potential client and asked
for tea.  Boy I've never seen such an surly response from a cocktail
waitress...   except once in Wisconsin when I ordered coffee with
milk and was told point blank, "This is a bar, it ain't a
restaurant." (it was actually a 3-2 dive that sold nothing but watery
extra-weak beer.)

ah, drugs.

Erika