[thechat] Anyone Using XP and Multiple Monitors?

Salvatore Palmisano spalmisano at usashs.com
Mon Nov 5 15:01:10 CST 2001

Ive posted this question in the usual places (other lists, NGs, et cetera)
with no success yet, so Im making a stab at it here.

I have an installation of Windows XP Pro that doesnt seem to want to use
both of my video cards at once.

Two ATI cards, one 3D Rage Pro AGP 2x and one Rage XL PCI both of which
worked perfectly under Windows 2000.
Now one of them always shows in device manager as 'This device cannot
start'.  If I switch to AGP as the primary display in BIOS, the AGP card
starts and the PCI shows as 'This device cannot start', and vice versa for
the PCI.
Both of them work individually, but wont start in tandem.
I havent been able to locate anything on this at MSDN, and I really cant
believe that these cards would work in Win2000 and not in WinXP.
Anyone have any experience with this kind of setup?

(Disclaimers:
All of the correct drivers have been installed from ATI.  Ive confirmed the
versions and everything, and the only error Im getting is 'This device
cannot start'.
No resource conflicts are present, and the non-functioning card says it has
no resources assigned because its not working properly.
Ive tried switching PCI ports for the PCI card, with no success.
The HCL says the cards are 'compatible' in one instance (the PCI) and 'no
test data' for the other (the AGP).  BOTH cards work as expected by
themselves...just not together.
)

Thanks.

--Salvatore

Current WinAmp Song:
~02. The Sheriff.mp3 - 02. The Sheriff (Groove Salad 24k: A nicely chilled
pl