[thechat] MS-DOJ settlement?

Judah McAuley judah at wiredotter.com
Tue Nov 6 14:50:20 CST 2001

I was wondering what everyone thinks about the proposed MS-DOJ
settlement?  It seems like not even a wrist slap to me.  I understand that
the Ashcroft DOJ is more pro-business than previous administrations and I
also understand that they are busy focusing on other matters at hand.  But
it seems to me that a company that flouts previous judicial orders and is
found to be abusing an illegal monopoly should be required to show *some*
contriteness and be required to reform its ways.

And this settlement doesn't seem to accomplish much of anything.  Maybe the
government thinks they have to settle this to improve the economy.  I don't
know, but it doesn't feel right to me.

Might want to take a look at this article:
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/zd/20011105/tc/ms_settlement_reads_like_a_fairy_tale_1.html
(watch the wrap)

Seems pretty balanced.

Judah