[thechat] Breaking news - another airplane goes down in NYC

Bruce Heerssen bruce at heerssen.com
Mon Nov 12 12:05:31 CST 2001

On Monday 12 November 2001 12:35, Erika Meyer wrote:
> Tony wrote:
> >BBC TV News says FBI say not a terrorist incident.
>
> I don't how the FBI would know that.  I don't think anything's been ruled
> out.
>
> >Engine fell off on take off.
>
> a very unusual thing to happen to a plane.

That can happen when the engine siezes up for some reason - like sucking up a
bird during takeoff. JFK is renowned for the number of migratory birds in and
around the airport - and for the extreme measures they've taken to mitigate
the dangers. But with so many birds in the area, it's impossible to
completely eliminate this sort of circumstance.

Maybe, just maybe, they shouldn't have built an airport on marshland that's a
prime feeding and nesting ground for so many migratory birds.

-Bruce