Laphroaig (again), was: [thechat] weather in Ireland

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Tue Nov 13 21:24:36 CST 2001

>Looks like the consensus is Ireland = sweaters. Thanks!

The last bottle of Laphroaig I bought had a very good promotion in
it. I don't often buy bottles of Laphroaig, it's normally a bar drink
for me. Anyhow, the promotion is described on a lovely little flyer
in the cask (printed on excellent stock, btw):

(for simplicity: rendered in html 3.2 spec)

<center>
<h2>LAPHROAIG</h2>
SCOTCH WHISKY</p>

<h1>FREE</h1>
<h3>A<br>
SQUARE FOOT<br>
OF ISLAY</h3>
</center>

On the inside of the flyer they invite you to stake your claim to a
square foot of Islay by sending the tinfoil closure of the bottle to
them. Then you just need to pop on up to 'the beautiful hollow of the
broad bay' to pick up your ground rent ('Payable annually in person
at the distillery, the sum of one dram of Laphroaig').

They'll even equip you will wellingtons, headgear, and hipflask to go
and identify your plot!

I guess I just wanted to add gumboots / wellingtons /
whatever-you-call-them to the list alongside sweaters. And yes, I do
realize Scotchland != Irland
(http://www.thepander.co.nz/images/america.gif), same rules apply
though, don't they?

--