[thechat] big weather in austin (fwd)

Bruce Heerssen bruce at heerssen.com
Fri Nov 16 10:32:03 CST 2001

On Friday 16 November 2001 11:07, Bob Davis wrote:

> There's been some flooding in San Antonio too. There's a big park
> that floods every time we get big rain like this. I've seen it happen
> 2 or 3 times just this summer.
>
> The engineers who built the roads here must have been on crack. They
> basically paved creek beds...so now, every time it rains, the roads
> revert to their previous state - creeks.  Stupid. It looks like it'll
> be better today, but there are still flash flood warnings.

When I was living in S.A. I was amazed at the number of people that would
insist on trying to drive across those crossings - with flood guages clearly
marked. These are fast moving creeks when they have water in them, so not
only is it damaging to cars, it's dangerous to people. I can say that the
quality of drivers in S.A. could be the subject of a rather lengthy rant.
Ditto on the road engineers - the freeways out there are insane, especially
the entrance and exit ramps, and the freeway interchanges - or lack thereof.

-Bruce