[thechat] leonids

dave mclean dave at members.evolt.org
Sun Nov 18 14:23:11 CST 2001

On 2001.11.18 08:12, r937 at interlog.com wrote:

> so, did anybody see anything?

Did I ever.  Wow, it was amazing.  The longest I counted without seeing one
was 24 seconds.  I stayed up working on a Web site and woke Claire up at
3:30 am MST.  We both got all bundled up and got our -20c sleeping bags and
lay on the ground in our back yard.  Since our house is about 5 blocks from
the Western city limit we were able to see a lot, but can't even imagine how
many we missed because of light pollution.  On separate occasions both of us
saw meteorites that flared up into a bright blue streak (I guess entering
deeper into the atmosphere) and the streak lasted for at least half a
minute. Many times two or three really bright ones shot across the sky
parallel to each other.

> i got up at 4:30 a.m. but it was clouded over -- drat and dagnabit!
>
> and to think it was crystal clear at 11 p.m. -- the kids and i were out with
> binocs looking at jupiter (we think we saw one moon) and the orion nebula

Funny, it was quite the opposite here.  Cloudy at around midnight and clear
(and frickin' freezing) at 4:30am.

> ahh, broadband... not really worth $40/month (that's canadian, so it'd be
> about
> $26 in real money) but once in a while you appreciate being able to download
> 29megs in under two hours...

So true. That and the amazing ability to download whole episodes of The
Simpsons over LimeWire.

____
damclean 403.708.6215
dave at members.evolt.org