[thechat] leonids

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Sun Nov 18 15:22:28 CST 2001

On 18 Nov 2001, at 15:12, r937 at interlog.com posted a message which said:

> ahh, broadband... not really worth $40/month (that's canadian, so it'd be about
> $26 in real money) but once in a while you appreciate being able to download
> 29megs in under two hours...

If I lived out in the boondocks, I could get DSL from jazzd for $38.95.
Compared to the $24 I pay for a second phone line, plus $20 for an
ISP, it'd be *cheaper* to have DSL as well as faster.

But while mom-and-pop telephone companies have the resources to
offer DSL to all their customers, Verizon says it will be 2015 before
they can get around to making it available in Pennsylvania. Of course,
they had plenty of money to expand into long distance and cellular,
but we're not supposed to notice that.

deke

*Any great truth can -- and eventually will -- be expressed as a cliche
-- a cliche is a sure and certain way to dilute an idea. For instance,
my grandmother used to say, "The black cat is always the last one off
the fence." I have no idea what she meant, but at one time, it was
undoubtedly true. --
                       Solomon Short