[thechat] mozilla easter egg

deke web at master.gen.in.us
Mon Nov 19 16:29:41 CST 2001

On 19 Nov 2001, at 10:50, Bruce Heerssen posted a message which said:

> I just plugged 'about:netscape' into NN4.7 and got: "Whatchew talkin' 'bout,
> Willis?" I got the same thing for about:gecko. Neither one works for mozilla.

> I looked at the source code and the word 'blink' is in a <blink> tag. But it
> doesn't blink. Maybe it's the malformed HTML. My version doesn't have the
> disclaimer that deke mentioned.

I didn't get <blink>blink</blink> with either version.

Here's the source code I get for the two pages:

Netscape 6.2
(Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:0.9.4) Gecko/20011019 Netscape6/6.2)
---------------------
<!--
   The contents of this file are subject to the Netscape Public License
   Version 1.0 (the "NPL"); you may not use this file except in
   compliance with the NPL.  You may obtain a copy of the NPL at
   http://www.mozilla.org/NPL/

   Software distributed under the NPL is distributed on an "AS IS" basis,
   WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, either express or implied. See the NPL
   for the specific language governing rights and limitations under the
   NPL.

   The Initial Developer of this code under the NPL is Netscape
   Communications Corporation.  Portions created by Netscape are
   Copyright (C) 1998 Netscape Communications Corporation.  All Rights
   Reserved.

   Contributor(s):
     Henrik Gemal <gemal at gemal.dk>
 -->
<head>
<title>The Book of Mozilla, 3:31</title>
<!--
body {
  background: maroon;
  color: white;
}

.moztext {
  margin-top: 15%;
  font-size: 1.1em;
  text-align: center;
  font-style: italic;
}

.larger {
  font-size: 1.3em;
}

.from {
  margin-top: 1em;
  font-size: 1.5em;
  text-align: right;
  font-style: italic;
}
-->
</head>

And the beast shall be made <span class="larger">legion</span>.  Its numbers shall
be increased a <span class="larger">thousand thousand</span> fold.  The din of a
million keyboards like unto a great <span class="larger">storm</span> shall cover
the earth, and the followers of Mammon shall <span class="larger">tremble</span>.

(Red Letter Edition)

---------------------

And the page from Communicator 4.74
---------------------
<HEAD>

<TITLE>The Book of Mozilla, 12:10</TITLE>

<BODY bgcolor="#800000" text="#FFFFFF">

<CENTER>

<FONT size=4><I>

<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

And the beast shall come forth surrounded by a roiling

<FONT size="+2">cloud</FONT> of <FONT size="+2">vengeance.</FONT>

The house of the unbelievers shall be <FONT size="+2">razed</FONT>

and they shall be <FONT size="+2">scorched</FONT> to the earth.

Their tags shall <FONT size="+2">blink</FONT> until

the end of <FONT size="+2">days.</FONT>

<UL><UL><UL>

<FONT size=6>

<BR>from <B>The Book of Mozilla,<B> 12:10

*Any great truth can -- and eventually will -- be expressed as a cliche
-- a cliche is a sure and certain way to dilute an idea. For instance,
my grandmother used to say, "The black cat is always the last one off
the fence." I have no idea what she meant, but at one time, it was
undoubtedly true. --
                       Solomon Short