[thechat] Re: OSX

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Mon Nov 26 14:51:57 CST 2001

>Not sure how well it'll play with broadband though. Anyone got
>blueyonder?? I'm considering it, but their web site sayeth no X. :-|

Funny, apart from the few apps still in beta (including Eudora, as
Dave mentioned), my only gripe with OS X is the occasional bit of
weirdness with networking.

I'm still waiting on the delivery of OS X 10.1 (ordered it 8 weeks
ago), but versions <= 10.04 didn't configure TCP/IP networking on my
machines unless they were rebooted. It was quite annoying, but
couldn't be a common problem or else OS X's practical use as a server
would be close to nill (crash > auto reboot > no network. doh!).
Perhaps it had something to do with the DHCP client code... dunno.

Big plus, on the other hand, is that macs have a compiler (woot!) and
easy access to gnu and gnu-license-like software. No more waiting for
ports, no more being last on the developers' list... Oh, and even the
most recent java apps usually work!

I think ya did good. :)

--
Andrew Forsberg