[thechat] Win2k Net access problem

judah at wiredotter.com judah at wiredotter.com
Wed Nov 28 18:15:23 CST 2001

Your Linksys router should be running some sort of firewall.  I believe
that it does port blocking in addition to NAT.   But since your other
machines can access the Internet fine, we'll assume that its not a router
port-blocking issue, but rather something machine specific.

One thing that I did notice is that in the advanced TCP/IP settings, you
have mntp1.il.home.com set up as a DNS suffix.  This will get added to the
end of any unqualified domain names.  Possibly, those apps that are failing
because the system thinks they are sending unqualified domain names and is
tacking on stuff to the end of the request.  It's a bit far fetched, but
possible.  Try removing that entry, so that there isn't a DNS suffix.

Also, could you post a screen shot of the ipconfig output?  Open up a
command prompt and type 'ipconfig /all'.  This should show all of the info
that was set by the dhcp server as well as the manually entered info.

You might also check your hosts file (C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
or wherever your system is) and make sure that there aren't any odd entries
in there.

Norton Anitvirus, for instance, adds entries to the hosts file for
pop3.norton.antivirus on 127.0.0.1 so Antivirus can act as an email proxy
to check all incoming messages.

I'll try to think of more things later.

HTH,
Judah