[thechat] pure evil: Tobacco giant buys rights to lung cancer drugs

spinhead evolt at spinhead.com
Mon Dec 3 15:01:26 CST 2001

While I think I understand your point, Ron, it goes back to a pretty basic
level for me - the end doesn't justify the means. I'm morally opposed to
military involvement, so I'm bemused/confused by pacifists who join the army
becuase the government will pay for their college (this is not hypothetical;
I know them.) I mean, hey, are you opposed until it benefits you? That's not
morals, that's situational ethics. I don't believe "it's wrong just 'cause
you get caught," and I don't believe that someone who continues to make
money killing people should be involved in finding the cure. I don't think
life is more important than integrity, so I don't think a cure discovered by
the tobacco industry suits my needs. Probably simplistic; maybe unrealistic,
but doesn't mankind as a whole revere selfless adherence to truly worthwhile
causes over self-preservation?

Apologies for ranting in response to your mostly tongue-in-cheek response.
I'm not doubting your moral capacity, Ron; we've chatted too much for me to
do that ;)

joel