[thechat] pure evil: Tobacco giant buys rights to lung cancer drugs

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Mon Dec 3 15:11:40 CST 2001

A bigger issue to me is that this points out a flaw in the way we
administer biotech -- patents on some kinds of disease cures, where the
patent holders manipulate the availability to be able to manipulate
price -- is problematic.

The natural tension is between two things -- the ability of people who
develop cures to reap a benefit from the work put in to developing those
cures (and hopefully grow enough to get more) -- and the ability of the
sick to get access to those cures.

There's a similar problem in the drug industry.

	- Joe <http://artlung.com/>