[thechat] pure evil: Tobacco giant buys rights to lung cancer drugs

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Mon Dec 3 16:29:28 CST 2001

>  Tobacco giant buys rights to lung cancer drugs
>  > http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/2001/11/13/FFX8YC44XTC.html

Many companies make cancer-causing chemicals AND cancer treatment
drugs.  And have done so for years.

Bayer-Mobay comes to mind.  Monsanto.  Dow Chemical.  etc.  I
discovered this years ago when I worked for a small-community
anti-toxics group (Californians for Alternatives to Toxics or CATs).
http://www.alternatives2toxics.org/

I even asked a Bayer rep (who didn't know the org I represented)...
"So, you guys make pesticides and pharmaceuticals?"  "Yes," he told
me.  He saw it as a point of pride.  Maybe if I were a stockholder...

I worked for CATs on and off for a period of 5 years.  Eventually the
reality of how our society has sold our our health, and our
children's health, for a few corporate bucks was too hard to face on
a daily basis & I moved on to less disturbing employment.

But now living in a place without a strong anti-toxic presence, where
pesticide use is accepted and the rivers are full of PCBs and heavy
metals, I see how much good CATs did, and how much healthier the
environment was as a result.