[thechat] BBC won't use the word "terrorism"

Seb seb at members.evolt.org
Mon Dec 3 19:57:42 CST 2001

At 15:24 03/12/2001, you wrote:
>The BBC World Service has taken a policy decision not to describe the
>attacks on the US as "terrorism".

<quote>
He said US networks regarded the attacks on Afghanistan as a football match
with Washington as the home team.
</quote>

Finally, a TV news network with real backbone. I've grown absolutely sick
of the western-centric reporting of this whole situation. I personally view
the attack as terrorism, but terrorism is being used as an excuse to carry
out acts of war against elements seen as "unsavoury" without declarations
of war.

I mean, the Northern Alliance is an incredibly loose coalition of feudal
warlords who have only recently stopped massacring each other long enough
to kill as many Taliban soldiers as possible. So, what happens when they
finish killing their new enemies and they have to share power with the old
ones?

Check out today's events in Jerusalem. Acts of terrorism being portrayed as
a declaration of war. Nations declare war, not terrorists. You can't punish
an entire country for the acts of a few extremists.

The world's going to hell in a hand-basket, and those in power in the
western world are running around like kids in a gun store, with absolutely
no idea of the consequences. I'm off to pick a nice place for my ashes to
be scattered by the nuclear wind.

Seb.