[thechat] IT is here!

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Tue Dec 4 18:28:07 CST 2001

Erika Meyer wrote:

> rudy observed:
>
>> the segway looks like a toy for fat lazy people with more money than
>> brains
>
> Yes. Perfect for the USA.
>
> ...and before you call me unAmerikan, remember that the last 5 letters
> in Amerika are "Erika."

It's amazing to me how much attention this device is garnering.

In the end, it's got some interesting innovations, which will probably
end up in things like robotics, wheelchairs, and other small electric
transport. I think it's a nifty device, that couldn't dare to expect to
live up to the hype.

And of course, once there's hype, there has to be a backlash - and of
course, here it is in spades.

My advice: Fuck 'em and don't fall for it. We have much bigger issues in
the world right now.

If I were the "IT" team's publicist, I bet I'd be able to command top
rates now - the hype was extraordinary, pervasive, flawless, and global.
Now *that* is marketing and communications.

My favorite take:
http://www.satirewire.com/news/0112/sht.shtml

	- Joe "contrarian" Crawford <http://artlung.com/>