[thechat] sport and life?

matthew garrett matthew.garrett at snet.net
Wed Dec 5 14:00:22 CST 2001

Sporting activity is every bit as important as anything else. Being tired
from sitting at a computer sucks, but tired from physical exertion actually
feels pretty damn good.

I'm bad at self starting on exercise, but if someone sez "wanna go...", i
do. That means basketball, tennis, bike riding, hiking up stuff, running
down stuff, birthday bowling, whatever. Rock gyms are really fun/torturous,
but i've only been a couple of times.

Once a year I spend a few days windsurfing in Colorado and Nebraska (long
story) and it's usually the best I feel all year. Heat, cold, sun, water,
and really long, tiring days - especially tiring for me since I fall-in a
lot.

Used to enjoy snowboarding, but my neurosurgeon has warned against
activities which involve falling hard - which also rules out starting a
bunch of new things.

Oh, and darts - not only an amazing zen exercise, but good in the
simultaneous consumption of adult beverages kind of way.

it's all good, but it's better with other folks involved.
matt