[thechat] sport and life?

Andrew Forsberg andrew at thepander.co.nz
Fri Dec 7 00:33:31 CST 2001

>Depends on the air mix... you need more nitrogen at greater depths
>or risk oxygen toxicity (really, really nasty seizures and death).
>WWII-era submarines that ended up on the ocean floor were known for
>exploding (imploding is when external forces induce catastrophic
>structural failure) due to electrical sparks, etc. Lighting a match
>in atmospheric air at 200 metres would cause it to burn like an
>arc-welding torch, and combust the atmosphere.

This was where my brain was heading... have you read cryptonimicon by
any chance? the scene where Rudy destroys himself (well, he was
doomed: no teeth, only one eye, stuck on the bottom of the ocean, etc
etc) and the papers by lighting a match? I think I'd have stayed
there rather than try to swim to the surface like the other German,
that'd be real painful and messy.

>Diving to 20 - 30 metres wouldn't be anywhere near as spectacular,
>though it would probably cause a cigarette to flash through, rather
>than smouldering. God alone knows what would happen with a butane
>lighter at that depth.

lol!

>As martin says, anyone even joking about that kind of stunt near a
>dive would probably get fed to the nearest carnivorous fish.

The nearest I get to sport is watching my partner ride her horse, and
occasionally getting a video camera shoved at me so they can relive
their triumphs and humiliations. That, and counter-strike which I'm
finally getting the hang of.

<tip>
Don't ever video your partner getting on or off a horse unless they
are so good they probably don't care if you're running the vid camera
or not. Expect much bruising and aural stress otherwise. Ungrateful I
call it. If you don't know why, you don't need to know. AVOID AT ALL
COST!
</tip>

--
Andrew Forsberg