[thechat] flashing back...

Erika Meyer emeyer at lclark.edu
Tue Dec 11 19:43:38 CST 2001

The usenet stuff...
http://www.google.com/googlegroups/archive_announce_20.html

I sent it to my boss who was delighted as he knows the ("Portland
Perl guy") who made that Star Wars episode 6 post.

I just realized how much I miss the 80's.

I still have my Atari 2600, with it's fake wood finish and black
plastic... and the bright pixely graphics.  Got rid of the
amber-on-black C/PM monster in 1997, but I still have my 1982 Ibenez
Roadstar II guitar, a strat copy, big chunk of blonde wood, gold
frets, & black knobs & inlays.

black & white, black & gold... the CA surf punk thing with the black
& white checkered Vans...
http://www.scottmalloy.com/personal/Vans.html

and everything else florescent... & over-dyed jeans.

My favorite clothes were:

- dangly chartreuse earrings handed down from my mom's 1960's collection
- black t-shirt with gold metallic hieroglyphics
- secondhand dresses from the 50's & 60's
- a German Luftwaffe jacket from the army surplus store
- my dad's old army shirt
- homemade tie dye...
- levis: pegged.  ankle-boots: pointy.

Remember that lopsided hair?  Spiking the top & trying to get it to
stand up?  And the guys that could make their mohawk stand up a foot
in the air were so coy about their hair-do secrets...

I went from spiked to a sasson bob flipped down to completely obscure
one heavily-lined eye.  One half of the hair shorter than the other,
parted on the side.  Blond streak down the front.  Different earrings
on each side... lots of earrings in one ear...

I used food coloring to try and color my hair.  If it rained, the
color dripped.

That 50's retro thing:  big vinyl belts, polka dots... atomic
mentality... Rocket to Russia... Missile Command... KAAAA BOOOMMM!

Metal & punk were two completely different kinds of music.

Records were made of black vinyl.

I'm sure the 80's sucked like everyone says... we were butchering
Central American peasants and I expected the nukes to fall at any
time... but I suppose I'm getting old & my memory moldy.

;-)

Erika