[thechat] Linux install stuffz

Chris Evans chris at fuseware.com
Wed Dec 12 08:45:32 CST 2001

Ok, this is not at all web related, so it gets to go to the chat.

Background:

I'm getting ready to set up a Linux server at home.  I plan to use it as a
general use server ( web, mail, file, print, ftp, DB ).  It is running on a
PI 200, 64 meg RAM, and is only going to be used by myself for screwing
around.

Question:

  I want a lean setup, so want to install the minimum of packages and then
add others as I need them.  I'm doing a custom RedHat 7.2 install, and want
to whittle down the RPMs I need to install.  I'm not installing X, because I
don't have a monitor for the machine.  What applications are good to have on
there?  Here is a rough list I have going so far:
Apache, PosgreSQL, Samba, ftp, vi, ssh, ftp

Haven't decided on what to do about mail yet.

Chris Evans
chris at fuseware.com
http://www.fuseware.com