[thechat] Wacky OS X Question

Ben Dyer ben_dyer at imaginuity.com
Wed Dec 12 10:59:29 CST 2001

Not really appropriate for thelist, so...

Got a Mac OS X question, *nix and *BSD users out there, don't delete this
yet, I need your help, too.

Got a Buslink hard drive that will not show up under Mac OS X.  Under the
Apple System Profiler it registers as being on the USB chain, but will not
mount.  Does anyone know of a way to get this to work?

Second question (for the *nix and *BSD users), the only suggestion I've
found anywhere online is to try and mount the drive manually.  How do I do
this?  I've read about the mount command in Terminal, but I don't know how
to use it.  Basically, how do you identify the drive?  Like, if I give it
the command "mount ________ /mnt/hd2/", what goes in the blank?  I'm not
sure how to find that out.  Buslink's site is worthless and their support
is nonexistent.  Most of the boards have no suggestions.

Oh, and I'd prefer not to format that drive, but if that's the only option,
I can live with it.

Argh.

--Ben

http://www.imaginuity.com/