[thechat] New Year's resolution

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Thu Dec 13 12:31:15 CST 2001

Kevin Stevens wrote:

> 1. I only have room for 1 monitor, and during the (probably) lengthy
> transitional period I will still be using my Windows machine most of the
> time. Is it possible to run 2 computers using 1 monitor? My idea is to have
> a Y lead connecting both machines to 1 monitor that I can flick a switch on
> to view either one. Anyone know if this possible, and what such a lead would
> be called?

They're called "KVM switches" - keyboard, video, mouse - and yes,
they let you toggle easily back and forth between systems (2,4,*).

I use a LinkSys 2-port model; it's worked fine. Comes with two sets
of computer cables; you hook your keyboard, mouse and monitor to the
switch, and away you go .... (There are other vendors, Belkin being
one with lots of boxes on Fry's shelves ...)

HTH!
--
H*
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com

    -- creating dynamic Web sites and applications since 1994 --